The purpose of offer letters
- Starts the process of welcoming and orienting employees to the University.
- Explains that the offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Documents a verbal contract, and is used to establish the conditions of employment under which the employee is hired; helps to eliminate misunderstandings. (Benefits eligibility, employee group, applicable rules/contracts, length of employment, pay, probation, etc.)
- Used as a resource in personnel files to help determine such things as bumping rights, layoff rights, notice periods, and years of service.
- Used by Payroll staff to correctly enter information into PeopleSoft.
- Informs the employee of information they need to know in order to be successful in their employment such as when they will be eligible for their first pay increase.
- Provides helpful information and resources to a new employee. (Benefits, ISSS, etc.)